This morning had Bob and riding into what remains of the Hannover Altstadt – unlike our last visit that took us to the modern centre of town. By the time we arrived at our destination, we believe our navigator had led us well over that distance, but it was well worth it.
Exquisite farming country in which a lone cuckoo called, followed by the extremities of the main township. Here we glimpsed the wealth of times past and sighted the beautifully restored old palace with its seventeenth century gardens.
Part of the old fortifications now form part of the museum and an old round tower is currently under restoration. A few restorated buildings and an ornate fountain.
St Jakob’s was plainly set, a far cry from its original setting at a guess.
We loved St Jacob et St Georgii church. An inset plaque in the wall stated, ‘Built 1340 – 1360 in place of the Romanesque Church, St Georgeii, which had stood here 1125 – 1340. Burnt out 1943. Rebuilt 1946 – 1952.
The outer doors had some fantastic imagery: just loved the one on the right.
Quite plain inside, the restoration process incorporated a touch of the old and modern.
The sound of the organ was beautiful and had so much power the sound was overwhelming to the ears.
The afternoon passing, once onboard Gratis, the lines were hauled in and the following hours found us motoring twenty or so kilometres to a peaceful country mooring just outside the small community of Kampen.
Bird song and the muffled sound of men out fishing for the day was a welcomed peace after the thrum of Big Bertha.